Friday, December 26, 2008

Icebox


With Vancouver buried under a duvet of snow, I decided it was time to break out the Mission Hill 2004 Riesling ice wine that I've hoarded since last Christmas. I haven't sampled ice wine in quite some time, so I considered it a treat to savor it over a thick slice of pumpkin pie. The heady smell of raisin and spiced apples, and its rich golden colour reminded me of apple strudel. The silky smooth sweetness that washed over my tongue made me smile--delectable!

Ice wine is extremely high on the sweetness scale, so if you don't like port or liqueurs, you probably won't like it. I received this bottle as a gift; however, I do know that it runs for about $40 a bottle at Taylorwood wines in Yaletown. It comes in a lovely black cylinder, the perfect gift for anyone who's in for a bit of a wine adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment