Saturday, September 5, 2009

The September Experiment

In need of a challenge, I've deemed September to be the month that I use up as many of my canned/packaged goods as possible. All of those cans of beans, the jar of artichoke hearts, and the slender jar of capers that have been sitting in the darkness of the cupboard must work their way into whatever concoctions I cook up over the next four weeks. The only things I'm allowed to buy at the grocery store are produce and dairy products to supplement my fare. So far, things have started off well.

On Thursday night I used up the cherry tomatoes, garlic and onion I had in my fridge. I sauteed them and added them to some spicy organic spaghetti sauce I had in the cupboard, then added some Italian seasoning and a bit of Parmesan cheese. Next I boiled up half a box of macaroni until al dente and then tossed it in the sauce until thoroughly mixed. Then I transferred it all to a lasagna dish and sprinkled grated mozzarella cheese over the top and baked it in the oven on broil. After less than 10mins in the oven dinner was served, and it left me enough leftovers for another five meals. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment